Our goal at Washington is to prepare all of our students to be academically, socially and emotionally successful at our school, middle school and beyond.
Next Family Movie Night
Make-up days for snow closures announced
Due to inclement weather, Salem-Keizer students have missed four full school days, had one early release and one late start this school year.
Time at school is essential to student success. To make up for some lost instructional time, the district has decided to make changes to the school calendar.
Three school days have been added to the calendar:
• Thursday, March 23, 2017, will be a school day for all students. Parent-Teacher conferences will take place after school and in the evening.
• Thursday and Friday, June 15 and 16, 2017, will be school days for all students except graduating seniors. High schools will develop a revised schedule for second semester finals.
Dates of high school graduation ceremonies will not change.
Please be aware that additional calendar changes could be made if there is more inclement weather.
School T-shirts and Sweatshirts are in!
Stop by the school office to purchase yours.
Youth Sweatshirts - $15
Adult Sweatshirts - $20
Youth T-shirts - $5
Adult T-shirts - $8
OUR ROCK WALL ROCKS!!
Our rock wall that we have been fundraiser for was installed last week and unveiled for students and staff today. Thank you to everyone who had a part in bringing the rock wall to Washington Elementary.
Kindergarten registration opens Feb. 23, 2016
Registration for fall kindergarten programs in Salem-Keizer Public Schools opens on Tuesday, February 23, 2016. Students who turn five on or before September 10, 2016, are eligible to register. All elementary schools in Salem-Keizer offer free, full-day kindergarten.
Parents are asked to register students soon to help the district prepare an adequate number of classrooms, supplies, etc. for the fall.
How to register
To register, please visit the school and pick up a registration packet. If you’re unsure what school is assigned to serve your residence address, please visit the district’s school finder page: www.salemkeizer.org/content/boundary-information
Parents must complete and sign the forms in the registration packet (registration form, home language survey, immunization form) and provide:
1. Proof of residence address. Examples of documents accepted include a copy of a utility bill, driver’s license with current address, copy of rental agreement, etc.
2. Original birth certificate for the child. The school will make a copy and return the original to the parent.
Help your student get ready
Parents can help students get ready for kindergarten by helping them:
· Hold a pencil, crayons and scissors correctly
· Practice writing his/her name
· Learn the ABC’s and how to count to twenty
· Name and identify basic shapes, such as square, triangle and circle
· Learn how to take turns and share with others
· How to use the bathroom and wash hands independently
Please contact your school with questions about registering for kindergarten.
Parents and caregivers who drive on campus and in neighborhoods near school can play an important role in enhancing safety near schools by following safe driving practices. At arrival and dismissal times, drivers are often in a hurry and distracted which can lead to unsafe conditions for students and others walking, bicycling and driving in the area.
Drivers should always:
· Slow down and obey all traffic laws and speed limits, both in school zones and in neighborhoods surrounding the school.
· Comply with local school drop-off and pick-up procedures for the safety of all children accessing the school.
· Avoid double parking or stopping on crosswalks to let children out of the car. Double parking will block visibility for other children and other motorists. Visibility is further reduced during the rain and fog seasons when condensation forms on car windows.
· Avoid loading or unloading children at locations across the street from the school. This forces youngsters to unnecessarily cross busy streets—often mid-block rather than at a crosswalk.
· Prepare to stop for a school bus when overhead yellow lights are flashing. Drive with caution when you see yellow hazard warning lights are flashing on a moving or stopped bus.
· Stop for a school bus with its red overhead lights flashing, regardless of the direction from which the driver is approaching. Drivers must not proceed until the school bus resumes motion and the red lights stop flashing, or until signaled by the school bus driver to proceed.
· Watch for children walking or bicycling (both on the road and the sidewalk) in areas near a school.
· Watch for children playing and gathering near bus stops. Watch for children arriving late for the bus, who may dart into the street without looking for traffic.
· Watch for children walking or biking to school when backing up (out of a driveway or leaving a garage).
Please try to keep your pick-up routine consistent so your students know where they are to go at the end of the day. Please drive carefully and be patient as we are dismissing a lot of students and trying to get everyone home safely.
Recogida de EstudiantesLos alumnos que se recogen en auto esperarán en el estacionamiento del sur junto al gimnasio. Hay adultos que les ayudan a subir en los carros. Los alumnos que caminan a casa salen del plantel por las puertas principales de la escuela y se juntan con las personas que les acompañan en el estacionamiento del norte. Ese estacionamiento estará cerrado a los autos por la tarde para garantizar la seguridad de los alumnos y familias que están caminando. Todos los alumnos deben ser recogidos dentro de 15 minutos después de la despedida escolar. Por favor procuren establecer una rutina consistente de recogida para que su estudiante sepa dónde debe ir al final del día. Maneje con cuidado y tenga paciencia, ya que muchas personas están saliendo y estamos procurando que todos lleguen a casa con seguridad.
YOUR CHILD'S TEACHER QUALIFICATIONS
The No Child Left Behind Act allows parents to request information on the qualifications of their child's teacher, such as education level, teaching license and experience. To request a teacher's qualifications, please contact the principal.